Customer Service Specialist- Medical Office
The CSS schedules exams for MRI, PET, CT, specialty studies and X-ray working with patients, referring physician offices and hospitals to coordinate scheduling. Obtains MD orders and other necessary information so that patient appointments may be scheduled timely and accurately. This position is classified as non-exempt under FLSA.
This position schedules exams including: Cervical Spine, Arthrogram, PET, Lumbar Spine, Brain MRI and MRA, CT, Thoracic Spine, Abdomen/Pelvic MRI, All sedation cases, SI Joints, Extremity MRI, Functional & spectroscopy, Shoulder MRI, Hand/Finger/Wrist MRI, MRI guided breast biopsy, Knee MRI, Foot/Ankle MRI, Breast and prostate MRI, X-ray (all), pedCAT and Spinal cord survey.
- Reports to work as scheduled and on time per policy with predictable regular attendance. Time away from work is approved and taken in accordance with established policies.
- Takes all reasonable steps to maintain confidentiality of all information related to patients, medical staff, employees, and as appropriate, other information, ensuring compliance with HIPAA mandates.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal communications in dealing with all others. Recognizes and respects differences in the work place. Demonstrates openness, sensitivity and commitment to the coworkers, patients, family members, and any other visitors to OAI.
- Consistently demonstrates and incorporates principles of safety and infection control into daily activities. Uses protective equipment and takes appropriate precautions whenever there is potential contact with blood, body fluids and/or chemicals. Maintains current knowledge of disaster policies and participates appropriately in disaster drills. Expresses and applies principles of body mechanics to prevent injury and accidents.
- Displays consistent commitment to customer service and team work. Displays personal behavior that has a positive impact for the team.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to staying current in field of knowledge, expanding knowledge and skill, and contributing to organizational success.
- Displays ability to work in an ever-changing environment and participate constructively in change processes.
- Attends staff meetings, completes education program as requested or approved by OAI.
- Accurately schedules all inpatients and outpatients for same day and future procedures including Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Magnetic Resonance Angiography, Magnetic Resonance Arthrography, PET, CT, specialty studies and X-Ray.
- Determines type of patient, i.e. in or outpatient, specials needs, pediatric, etc., obtains insurance information.
- When scheduling patients through physician’s offices, oversees arrangements for obtaining chart notes, H&P and other related information (films and/or reports, patient preparation, etc.)
- Schedules exams within a range of 8 to 15 minutes; ensure that needed paperwork and film are present for exam.
- Explains appropriate information and preparation instructions relative to the procedure provided to the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all type of diagnostic services, including preparation time frames, safety screening and examination information.
- Determines which site each procedure will be performed at, and provides data to staff; asks for assistance from staff in specified areas to resolve schedule conflicts.
- Requests all previous films and reports that are appropriate when medical records support is not available.
- Calls patients to confirm appointment time, preparation required and answer any questions when necessary.
- Oversees completion and organization of scheduled patient paperwork and records prior to scheduled procedures.
- Responds to numerous incoming telephone calls and communicates in a professional manner, demonstrates good telephone skills, works well with patients, physicians’ office staff, and physicians.
- Provides follow up with patients regarding scheduling, implants and investigations.
- Cover office needs as requested during breaks and lunch.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School graduate/GED required.
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills required. Proper English grammar skills required, including speaking, reading and writing.
- Knowledge of Radiology Information Systems and 2 years Radiology experience preferred.
- Must be pleasant, cooperative, and practice good public relations at all times. Excellent verbal communication skills required.
- Able to meet the mental and physical demands of this position (see ADA Form).
- Must possess computer skills.
- Ability to file using the terminal digit system for all jackets and films.